Webroot Parental Controls 5.0
How can you look out for your children when they have the whole world just a click away? That’s the power of Internet and communications nowadays, in certain way marvelous and in other extremely dangerous. As a father you’ll be always concerned about what your children could run into, or learn, or see, etc. On the other hand, you just can’t avoid that your children access the Internet, making them loose a lot of fun and even learning experiences with their friends. So it’s very important to count on a tool that will be your eyes and principles while your children surf the Web, assuring you that everything you don’t want them to see, they actually won’t see. The name of this tool is Webroot Parental Controls.
Besides the effectiveness of the tool, which is the most important for sure, it’s also important help parents to put it to work. That is to say, nothing is more useless that a tool you can’t control. That’s why Webroot has developed this tool putting emphasis on simplicity. You will quickly notice this because it uses a neat and simple interface, with simple and regular words and quick access to help and support everywhere.
After a quick and straightforward installation you’ll be up and running. The interface is organized in a simple window with a button bar on the left that provides you with access to the different sections. The sections and its functions are the following:
- Home: the default window of the application. From here you can manage users, accounts types and passwords.
- Reports: from here you can define what kind of reports, and the frequency with which they’ll be produced, you want to get. This way, you can check on the computer activity on a regular and automated basis.
- Options: this is a three-tabs window with the following options:
o Time Limit Warning: this tab allows you to define limits of time for computer usage. It also allows establishing the periods of time for warnings.
o Web Filtering: from here you’ll be able to define what kind of content is allowed and forbidden to be displayed on your computer. Maybe the most common task in parental control tools.
o E-mail settings: from here you give the toll e-mail parameters to be able to receive reports by e-mail.
Besides these three sections, you’ll have available a Support button to get assistance online from the web site, and a Help button to open the local help file.
There’s a trial version available, which will work for 30 days to give you an idea of what this application is capable of. If you are happy with the results you can buy online on the developer’s web site.
- It controls usage time for computers
- It controls web content filtering
- It's easy-to-use for non-expert fathers
- It requires some firewall configurations
- It's available in English only